If you forget your Windows 7 password, you'll need to reset the password to regain access to your computer. Actually, there are lots of ways to reset the password. Here we gathered three handy methods for you.
Windows Password Buster is designed to recover Windows password. This software can help you burn a password reset disk with CD or USB flash drive. With the disk you can reset the Windows 7 password in a few minutes.
1. Install Windows Password Buster on an available computer, and then launch the program.
2. Insert a USB flash drive, select "USB Disks" and click "Next" to burn a password reset disk.
3. Boot the locked computer from the USB flash drive. (How to Boot Computer from USB Flash Drive?)
4. When you reach the following screen, select an account, and then click "Change password" to reset its password.
5. Click "Reboot" to reboot the computer, and then log on to computer with the new password.
Sometimes there is more than one account on your computer. If you have other accessible administrator account, or you can log on to computer via some special ways like fingerprint recognition, then you can reset the password without disk.
1. Click the Start button, type "lusrmgr.msc" on the search bar and press ENTER.
2. On the coming window, double-click "Local Users and Groups", and then click "Users".
3. Right-click an account, and then click "Set Password".
4. Type and confirm your new password, and then click "OK".
Please note that you must log on with administrator credential, or you cannot reset the password.
System repair disk could help you not only repair system, but also reset forgotten password. To create a system repair disk, you'll need to prepare a computer with CD burner and a blank CD. You can follow the steps below to create a system repair disk and reset your password in command prompt.
1. Click on Start button > All Programs > Maintenance, and then click "Create a System Repair Disc".
2. Insert a blank CD/DVD, select the DVD drive in which the disk resides, and then click "Create disc".
3. Boot the locked computer from the system repair disk. (hint: How to Boot Computer from CD/DVD?)
4. When you see the System Recovery Options, follow the pictures below to open a command window.
5. Type "copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\" and hit Enter key.
6. Type "copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe" and hit Enter key.
7. When prompted to overwrite, type "Yes" and hit Enter key.
8. Close the command window, restart the computer and go to the logon screen.
9. When you reach the logon screen, hit the Shift key 5 times, a command window will open.
10. Type "net user (account name) (new password)" and hit Enter key.
11. Close the command window, and log on to computer with the new password.
12. After that you might want to put the original sticky key file back in its place. Then you need to boot the computer from the system repair disk, and in the command window, type "copy c:\sethc.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe" and hit Enter key.
There are many methods available. You just find one that suits you best to reset Windows 7 password.