If you forget your Windows 7 password, you'll need to reset the password to regain access to your computer. Actually, there are lots of ways to reset the forgotten password. Here we gathered 3 easy and efficient methods for you.
Windows password recovery tool is designed to recover forgotten Windows password. Most Windows password recovery tools allow you to burn a password reset disk with USB flash drive or CD disk. With the bootable disk you can easily reset the forgotten Windows 7 password.
1. You need a password recovery tool. We recommend using Windows Password Buster.
2. Install Windows Password Buster in an available computer, and then run the program.
3. Insert a USB flash drive into the computer, select "USB Disks" and click "Next" to start burning.
4. Boot the locked computer from the USB flash drive. (hint: How to boot computer from USB flash drive?)
5. When you reach the following screen, select an account, and then click "Change password" to reset its password.
6. After that, click "Reboot" to reboot the computer. Then you can logon your computer with the new password.
Sometimes there is more than one account on your computer. If you have other accessible administrator account, or you can logon the computer via some special ways like fingerprint recognition, then you can reset the password without disk.
1. Click the Start button, type "lusrmgr.msc" on the search bar and hit Enter key.
2. On the coming window, double-click "Local Users and Groups", and then click "Users".
3. Right-click an account, and then click "Set Password".
4. Type and confirm your new password, and then click "OK".
PS: You need to logon the computer with administrator credential, or you cannot reset the password.
System repair disk could help you not only repair system, but also reset forgotten password. To create a system repair disk, you'll need to prepare a computer with CD burner and a blank CD. You can follow the steps below to create a system repair disk and reset your password in command prompt.
1. Click on Start button > All Programs > Maintenance, and then click "Create a System Repair Disc".
2. Insert a blank CD/DVD, select the DVD drive in which the disk resides, and then click "Create disc".
3. Boot the locked computer from the system repair disk. (hint: How to boot computer from CD/DVD?)
4. When you see the System Recovery Options, follow the pictures below to open a command window.
5. Type "copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\" and hit Enter key.
6. Type "copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe" and hit Enter key.
7. When prompted to overwrite, type "Yes" and hit Enter key.
8. Close the command window, and then restart the computer.
9. When you reach the logon screen, press the Shift key 5 times, a command window will be opened.
10. Type "net user (account name) (new password)" and hit Enter key.
11. Close the command window, and then logon the computer with the new password.
12. After that you might want to put the original sticky key file back in its place. Then you need to boot the computer from the system repair disk, and in the command window, type "copy c:\sethc.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe" and hit Enter key.
PS: There are so many methods available. You just find one that suits you best to reset your password.