It's very common for people to forget or lose their password. What if you forget your computer password? Windows XP has been used for several years, there are a lot of methods that can help you to reset a Windows XP password. You can follow this article to access computer when you forget your Windows XP password.
Windows XP has a special user account named "Administrator" and by default this account isn't password protected. If you hadn't created a password for this account, you can login computer with this admin account.
1. Turn on your computer. When you reach the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del key twice to pop up a classic login window.
2. Type "Administrator" in the user name field, and then click "OK" to login the system.
Note: On Windows XP Home edition, you must enter safe mode to access this hidden account.
After you login the computer, you can easily reset the forgotten password in Control Panel. This way is available only when the hidden admin account is accessible. If you had set a password for this account, you would need to create a password reset disk to reset the forgotten password.
Many Windows password recovery tools enable you to create a bootable disk with CD/DVD or USB flash drive. With the disk you are able to reset the forgotten Windows XP password in minutes. We recommend Windows Password Buster and take it as an example. Here's the tutorial:
1. Download and install Windows Password Buster in a computer, and then launch it.
2. Select "CD/DVD" or "USB Disks", and then click "Next" to burn a password reset disk.
3. Boot the locked computer with the password reset disk. (hint: How to boot from CD/DVD or USB?)
4. After the computer boots from the disk, you will see the interface as the picture below. Then you have 2 options: reset the password or create a new account. You can also access the computer with an accessible administrator account when you forget password on Windows XP.
If you want to reset or remove the password, select the account, and then click "Change password".
Select "Remove the password" or "New password", type your new password, and then click "OK".
If you want to create a new admin account, directly click the "Create a new account" button.
Type the user name and password for the new admin account, and then click "OK".
5. After that, click "Reboot" to reboot the computer. Remove the password reset disk when the computer restarts.
Now you can login your computer with the new password or new account. Of course, the solutions are not limited to these options. Apart from these 2 methods, you can also reinstall Windows XP if there is nothing important data in the hard drive.