It's very common for people to forget or lose their password. Windows XP system has been used for several years, there are various methods that can help you to reset a Windows XP password. You can follow this article to access computer when you forgot your Windows XP password.
Windows XP system has a special user account named "Administrator" and by default the account is not password protected. If you don't create a password for this account, you can log on computer with this admin account.
1. Turn on your PC. When you reach the login screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del key twice to pop up a classic login window.
2. Type "Administrator" in the user name field, and then click "OK" to login the system.
Note: On Windows XP Home edition, you must enter safe mode to access this hidden account.
After you login the system, you could easily reset the forgotten password in Control Panel. Please note that this way is available only when the hidden admin account is accessible. If you had created a password on this account, you'll need to perform the steps below.
Windows password recovery tool enables you to create a password reset disk with CD/DVD or USB flash drive. With the password reset disk you can easily reset the forgotten Windows XP password. We recommend using Windows Password Buster and take it as an example.
1. Download and install Windows Password Buster, and then run the program.
2. Select "CD/DVD" or "USB Disks", and then click "Next" to burn a password reset disk.
3. Boot the locked computer with the password reset disk. (hint: How to boot from CD/DVD or USB?)
When you reach the password reset screen, you have 2 options: reset the password or create a new admin account. You can also access the computer with an accessible admin account when you forgot password on Windows XP.
4. If you want to reset or remove the password, select the account, and then click "Change password".
5. Select "Remove the password" or "New password", type your new password, and then click "OK".
6. If you want to create a new admin account, directly click the "Create a new account" button.
7. Type the user name and password for the new admin account, and then click "OK".
8. After that, click "Reboot" to reboot the computer. Remember to remove the password reset disk when the computer restarts.
Now you can logon your computer with the new password or new admin account. Of course, the solutions are not limited to these options. Apart from these two methods, you could also reinstall Windows XP to unlock the computer if there is nothing important data in your hard disk.
Related tutorial: What to Do When Forgot Windows 7 Password?